Thursday, May 03, 2012

Back to Blogging

After a failed attempt last year to get back to blogging, I'm trying it again this year. I really wanted to get back, but got busy will a lot of stuff.

Firstly, there was the Google Summer of Code Mentoring part for Apertium, it was a great enlightening experience for me. Normally, I've alway been the receiving end of orders, this time I was coordinating project plans and helping my student to give the best effort he could. The project ended in successful completion of most of the goals we envisioned.

Secondly I had to simultaneously continue my Masters study as well as working in a software company to pay bills. After all these, there was little time for me to do any actual blogging.

Google Summer of Code is becoming a habit for me. I've been selected as a student this year (once again), this time I'd be working with  National Evolutionary Synthesis Center (NESCent) on the idea Apply machine learning algorithms to ecology data" . I'd be elaborating on the idea in a later post. This is such a great opportunity for me to further diversity my skills and knowledge base.

There is a reason for me coming back to Google Summer of Code each year (either as a student or as a mentor). This is because I love working with open source projects. The most interesting aspect of working with open source projects is that you get the freedom to do all kind of creative stuffs and nobody is stopping you from doing that unless you do something completely stupid. I've got my fair share of working with commercial projects in different software campaniles, in those places creativities cannot take priorities over business demands (luckily, the company I've been working for builds most of it's applications on top of open source components, so I have no complaints for them).

I'd try to be regular this time, even if I have to post my rants about my ongoing Summer of Code project.

No comments:

Back to Blogging

After a failed attempt last year to get back to blogging, I'm trying it again this year. I really wanted to get back, but got busy will...