Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Who Says Penguin Can't Game?

My close friend Himel always gets me on the nerve when he says that "Linux is bad cause you can't play 3D games there". Yeah, he is a die hard gamer and always keeps himself busy in playing different games. And in this regard he is partially right as game developer rarely provide any Linux port of their games.

Well, those days are over my friend. Its now easily possible to play windows games in Linux, thanks to TransGaming Technologies' Cedega, formerly known as the Winex. Based on the wine project this software tries to run windows games in Linux using OpenGL. Many popular games are now playable in Linux including Need For Speed Carbon, FIFA 06, Oblivion, Max Payne, Hitman, Half Life 2 etc.

I installed cedega 6 on my Ubuntu 7.04 yesterday and was able to play my favourite game Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy on my nVidia card. I had to install nVidia proprietary driver from their site though.

Here is a screenshot of the game that I have been playing for the last few hours:

No comments:

Back to Blogging

After a failed attempt last year to get back to blogging, I'm trying it again this year. I really wanted to get back, but got busy will...